Marc J. Shrake
Los Angeles, California
|phone ||(213) 236-1691|
|email ||Email Me|
Marc Shrake focuses his practice on complex and commercial business litigation. Representing clients in state and federal courts across the country, Marc has prevailed in trial and appellate courts in cases involving property and casualty insurance coverage, commercial property losses, broker negligence claims, trade secrets, intellectual property, state and federal government investigations, products liability, the RICO Act, financial institutions, and health care. Marc is licensed to practice in California, Minnesota, and Texas, and he has appeared pro hac vice in numerous other jurisdictions.
Marc's representative experience includes the following:
- Litigating commercial property and business interruption insurance coverage claims arising out of fire, water, wind, mold, builder's risk, crime, 9/11, hurricanes, and other catastrophic events.
- Litigating casualty insurance coverage claims brought under general liability, employment practices liability, errors and omissions liability, and directors and officers liability coverages arising out of technology products, employment practices, environmental claims, advertising injury, business torts, and other claims.
- Obtaining multimillion-dollar property insurance recovery for world's largest rubber plantation after rebels overran plantation during Liberian civil war.
- Obtaining multimillion-dollar property insurance recovery for international food company following application of unapproved pesticide to raw oats used to make popular breakfast cereal.
- Defending home furnishings manufacturer in rescission action brought by products liability insurer following accident with manufacturer's product.
- Obtaining Missouri Court of Appeals decision affirming summary judgment for national insurance company accused of conspiring to drive public insurance adjusters out of business.
- Defending insurance broker against claims brought by named payee under property policy after insurer denied property damage claim.
- Defending insurance broker in investigation by New York Attorney General for alleged kickbacks by insurers.
- Obtaining multimillion-dollar recovery for large warehousing/logistics employer against workers' compensation insurance broker for mishandling insurance placement and reporting.
- Defending national health care provider against civil RICO and fraud claims and criminal investigations for admissions and billing practices, resulting in company-saving resolutions of all actions.
- Obtaining multimillion-dollar recoveries against manufacturer and installer of hazardous building material that caused $100 million fire and destroyed steel plant.
- Winning complete defense verdict and full recovery on counterclaim for national hardware distributor in lawsuit by retailers claiming RICO conspiracy to drive retailers out of business.
- Obtaining multimillion-dollar recovery against staffing agency's former officer in trade secrets lawsuit to protect client list and other confidential information.
- Obtaining summary judgment for traffic control systems supplier alleged to have infringed patent.
- Securing landmark Supreme Court of California decision on non-reviewability of arbitral awards, including reversal of appellate decision and reinstatement of six-figure judgment on counterclaim of franchisee initially sued by franchisor.
- Winning summary judgment on behalf of international airport board in equal protection lawsuit by adjoining landowners seeking to block runway-expansion project.
- Negotiating multimillion-dollar settlements for former CEO, CFO, and general counsel of international bank in executive compensation dispute.
- Professional Negligence
- Employment Practices
- California, 2002
- Minnesota, 1995
- Texas, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- University of Chicago Law School, Chicago, Illinois,
- College of St. Thomas, St. Paul, Minnesota,
B.A., summa cum laude
Major: Economics and Accounting
- The Causation Question in Property Insurance, New Appleman on Insurance Law, Chapter 44, August 2011
- Hurricane Storm Surges and Property Insurance: What's the Coverage Climate?, ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee's Hot Topics, January 2009
- The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act: Standing to Bring a Civil Action, ABA's The Briefcase, May 1994
- "Is There a Target on My Back? (or, Understanding E&O and Minimizing Your Exposure)", California Asian Insurance and Financial Professional Association's Property and Casualty Seminar, August 2011
- "The ABC's of Insurance Coverage Claims", Insurance broker seminar, March 2011
- "Defending Employment Litigation: Looking for Coverage in All the Right Places", Southern California Labor and Employment Law Seminar, November 2010
- "Understanding Products Liability Insurance & Product Recall Insurance", Client seminar, November 2010
- "The Wide, Wide World of Insurance: Recent Developments", Insurance broker seminar, October 2007
- "Shaken, Not Stirred: Adjusting Earthquake Losses", Client seminar, May 2006
- "Staying Out of the Thicket: California Fair Claims Settlement Practices", Client seminar, October 2004, November 2005
- American Bar Association Litigation Section's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee,
- Co-Chair, Property Insurance Subcommittee
- American Bar Association, General Practice Section,
- Vice-Chair, Litigation Committee
- Good Shepherd Women's Shelter of Los Angeles
- Board Member
- Santa Monica PONY Baseball
- Board Member
- Church of St. Mark
- Parish Pastoral Council Member
- 1966, Minneapolis, Minnesota