Albert K. Alikin
Telephone: (213) 236-1628
Albert K. Alikin is a seasoned litigation attorney who has prevailed in trial and appellate courts throughout California and across the nation. His specialty is litigating bad faith claims and complex insurance coverage disputes involving E&O, D&O, Fidelity, Automobile/UIM, Property, and CGL policies. Albert has also successfully represented insurance brokers, agents, and TPAs in professional liability actions. His recent cases and claims have involved high-exposure disputes in industries such as commercial and residential real estate, hospitality, entertainment/film, healthcare, banking & financial services, construction, special events, government, education, energy, and manufacturing. Additionally, he also has extensive experience litigating toxic tort, personal injury, and breach of contract lawsuits.
Albert’s recent representative experience includes the following:
Insurance Coverage and Litigation
- Represented an international insurance company in a large loss insurance claim involving allegations of misrepresentation, fraud, breach of contract, concealment, rescission, and unfair business practices against major real estate developer and associated banks over development of massive resort, country club, private residences, and related infrastructure on a vacation island.
- Represented a national insurance company in first-impression insurance coverage dispute related to underlying privacy claims and lawsuits involving access to medical records stored by large institutional dental network.
- Successfully resolved high-exposure bad faith lawsuit involving excess insurer subrogating against primary insurer over denial of policy limits demand in underlying action.
- Represented a global insurance company in a massive insurance coverage dispute with a national bank over coverage for underlying class action lawsuits alleging unfair competition and fraudulent business practices related to overdraft fees based on the sequential posting of credits and debits in checking accounts resulting in favorable settlement.
- Represented a large regional insurance company in a multifaceted insurance coverage action against a global parts manufacturer over coverage for underlying class action lawsuits in federal MDL alleging defective plumbing products.
- Obtained a very favorable settlement during the Final Status Conference in a subrogation lawsuit involving interplay between insurance and indemnity contracts with local city and entertainment companies over liability for an annual special event in city.
- Prevailed in arbitration involving insurance coverage under EPL policies for three underlying class actions alleging violations of wage & hour laws against a nationwide restaurant chain.
- Secured a favorable settlement in an insurance coverage dispute over coverage for an underlying breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and disparagement lawsuit related to a $100 million real estate development project funded by major private equity firm.
- Secured a favorable settlement in insurance coverage dispute over defense costs and indemnity for an underlying commercial action brought by a director claiming royalties to a hit TV show.
Business and Commercial Litigation
- Prevailed on summary judgment for an international insurance broker in $50 million professional negligence claim involving theft of “priceless” items under inland marine cargo policy.
- Represented greenhouse manufacturer in indemnity and subrogation claims involving fire to residential complex.
- Represented beverage manufacturer in misrepresentation, mislabeling, and false advertising claims brought by consumers in two class action lawsuits.
- Business and Commercial
- Directors and Officers
- Financial Institutions
- Insurance Coverage and Litigation
- Privacy and Data Security
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability
- Subrogation and Recovery
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California – 2009
- Loyola International & Comparative Law Review – Note & Comment Editor
- Business Law Society – President
- University of California, San Diego, California – 2006
- Major: Political Science
- Albert K. Alikin, et al., California Practice Guide: Insurance Litigation – Chapter 8. Multiple Insurers On Risk, The Rutter Group (Anticipated 2016 Update).
- Albert K. Alikin and Marc J. Shrake, Avoiding the “Special” Relationship Zone for Insurance Brokers, Asian Ins. & Fin. Prof. Assoc. – March 2016 Gala Magazine (2016).
- Albert K. Alikin, et al., Recent Developments in Fidelity & Surety Law, 50-2 American Bar Association Tort Trial & Ins. Prac. L.J. 367, 368-382 (2015).
- Albert K. Alikin, Marc J. Shrake, and Jennifer S. Muse, Practice Guide – 50 States Reservation of Rights Compendium, Defense Research Institute (2014).
- Albert K. Alikin & Marc J. Shrake, Appellate Dissent Maps Potential Challenge to Bad Faith Punitive Damages, American Bar Association, Litigation Section – Ins. Coverage Litigation Committee, Sept. 10, 2014, http://apps.americanbar.org/litigation/committees/insurance/casenotes.html.
- Albert K. Alikin, et al., Recent Developments in Fidelity & Surety Law, 49-1 American Bar Association Tort Trial & Ins. Prac. L.J. 205, 207-217 (2013).
Speeches and Presentations
- “The Difference Between ‘the’ and ‘an’ in Additional Insured Endorsements Can Mean Everything,” Insurance Broker Seminar, August 2015.
- “Avoiding a ‘Special Relationship’ in Insurance Broker Relationships,” California Asian Insurance and Financial Professional Association, October 2015.
- “Top 10 Tips to Avoid Employment Claims,” California Asian Insurance and Financial Professional Association, April 2014.
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
- Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association
- California Asian Insurance & Financial Professionals Association
- Southern California Claims Association
- DRI Insurance Law Committee
- DRI Professional Liability Committee
- Christians on Campus at University of Southern California