D. Damon Willens
Telephone: (213) 236-1633
Mr. Willens leads AMC’s Aviation and Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) practice group and has consulted with legal and insurance professionals, UAS organizations and users, and local municipalities on developing issues in this industry. He has also represented UAS pilots in FAA enforcement actions and civil tort claims related to UAS use. He is a licensed commercial aircraft pilot, rated in multi-engine jet aircraft, and has obtained the recently-implemented FAA UAS Remote Pilot Certificate. He owns a DJI Phantom III UAV and when not reading or talking about UAS issues, he can be found flying his Phantom III and posting on Twitter @califdronelaw.
Mr. Willens also practices in other areas of specialty casualty defense including complex personal injury, real estate, and premises liability litigation, extra contractual defense, and automobile uninsured motorist arbitration. He has tried approximately 30 cases to jury verdict.
Damon’s representative experience includes the following:
- Defends pilots in civil tort claims for personal injury, invasion of privacy and trespass related to UAS operations.
- Defends pilots in FAA enforcement actions related to UAS.
- Consults with numerous commercial operators, insurance companies, real estate organizations, and municipalities to navigate emerging laws and regulations relating to UAS operations.
- Consults with and assists law enforcement agencies in implementing UAS programs and advises such agencies concerning enforcement of federal and local UAS laws and regulations.
- Provides insight and commentary to media organizations concerning drone law and policy issues.
- Litigates real estate matters for various title insurance companies including Stewart Title Guaranty Company, Fidelity National Title Insurance Company, and First American Title Insurance Company.
- Defends complex personal injury lawsuits including automobile, premises liability, and aircraft accident litigation.
- Defends ADA claims and lawsuits including emerging lawsuits arising out of alleged Internet web site access violations.
- Aviation and Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Business and Commercial
- Construction Litigation
- Product Liability
- Real Estate and Real Property Litigation
- Specialty Casualty Defense
- Title Insurance Litigation
- Loyola Law School, J.D., 1988
- Claremont McKenna College, B.A., 1985, Economics and Psychology
- Central and Southern Districts, United States District Court
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Presentations on Unmanned Aerial Systems Legal and Insurance Issues
- February 2016, “Drone Away: Bombs, Photographs, Pizzas, Hearts, And Headaches” American Bar Association Mid-Winter Meeting and Paper
- May 2016, Los Angeles Risk and Insurance Management Society
- July 2016, Southern California Association of Realtors
- August 2016, RE/MAX South Bay; RE/MAX Estate Properties
- August 2016, Orange County Risk and Insurance Management Society
- September 2016, RE/MAX Westside Properties
- October 2016, Southern California Risk Management Conference
- December, 2016 Orange County Chapter, Public Agency Risk Management Association
- February, 2017 Southern California Chapter, National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors
- May 2017 AON Ignition Forum, Chicago
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International
- Academy of Model Aeronautics
- Los Angeles Chapter, Risk & Insurance Management Society
- UAS Insurance Association
Reserve Police Officer, Los Angeles Police Department
- Drone Away – Bombs, Photographs, Pizzas, Hearts, and Headaches
- California SB-347: Another needless and improper anti-drone bill hits the legislative process.
- Commercial UAS operators rally in Southern California in response to proposed drone ban – sUAS News – The Business of Drones
- D. Damon Willens speaks to Los Angeles Magazine about drone law and gives a flying lesson