James H. Demerjian
Telephone: (213) 236-1630
James H. Demerjian is a seasoned litigation attorney specializing in employment law, federal civil rights, and government liability. He has handled numerous cases in both federal and state courts, as well as before governmental agencies and through arbitration. James has defended private and public entities through jury trial and in appellate courts throughout California. James represents employers and management in all types of employment disputes including harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination cases. He also defends employers in wage and hour matters, including class and representative action lawsuits. In addition, James provides advice and counsel to clients on a variety of employment practices including employment contracts and employee handbooks, discharge, and discipline. James has also written numerous articles on labor and employment issues and has spoken at employment law seminars.
James’s career began in the Burbank City Attorney’s office, where he tried a case before a jury on the day after he was sworn by the State Bar Association. His efforts are always geared towards obtaining a favorable resolution for his clients whether by way of court order, verdict, or settlement. Prior to becoming an attorney, James worked in politics as a field director and political director on presidential and gubernatorial campaigns.
In his spare time, James enjoys spending time with his lovely wife, three amazing daughters, parents, siblings, and nephew, playing basketball and racquetball, playing guitar, and cooking.
- Western State University of Law, Fullerton, California – 2009
- Dean’s Honor Roll
- Moot Court – Vice President
- Finalist, second place, Tulane Law School Moot Court Competition
- Panetta Institute for Public Policy, Monterrey Bay, California / Washington, D.C. – 2005
- Deans List
- Major: Public Policy
- Intern to Congressman Darrell Issa
- California State University Los Angeles, California – 2004
- Dean’s List
- Major: Political Science
Publications & Presentations
- Seminar Presenter, “2018 California Employment Law Update,” January 16, 2018
- Author, “So close, yet so far – can of worms opens over settled lawsuit,” California Employment Law Letter, November 20, 2017
- Author, “Vroom! Vroom! New driving laws you should know about,” California Employment Law Letter, February 27, 2017
- Seminar Presenter, “California Employment Law: Updates & Changes for 2017,” February 7, 2017
- Author, “California court decision shows one-sidedness of recovering attorneys’ fees,” California Employment Law Letter, July 25, 2016
- Author, “Rules are rules – technicality saves two business owners from attorneys’ fees under PAGA,” California Employment Law Letter, March 28, 2016
- Seminar Presenter, “California Employment Law: Updates & Changes for 2016,” January 26, 2016
- Author, “Court allows firing of police officer on relieved-of-duty status,” California Employment Law Letter, October 26, 2015
- Seminar Presenter, “California Employment Law: Updates & Changes for 2015,” January 28, 2016
- Author, “Extension of FEHA Protections Slated for 2015 – What You Need to Know,” Email Alert, October 21, 2014.
Awards & Achievements
- Southern California Super Lawyer Rising Star
- Top Rated Employment & Labor Attorney in Los Angeles