Paula Tripp Victor
Telephone: (213) 236-1646
Paula Victor has been litigating cases in state and federal courts for more than 32 years. Her diverse practice has been focused in four major areas— Tort liability, Educator liability, Employment Practices, and Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith litigation. Her current practice focuses extensively on representing educational institutions, both in litigation and in an advisory role with regard to many issues such as personal injury matters arising from various incidents including sports-related injuries, labor and employment matters, Title IX issues, student complaints and faculty tenure issues. Her experience also includes representing private businesses, airports and airlines, motor carriers, governmental entities, and contractors in cases based on theories of premises liability, labor and employment liability, products liability and general negligence. She is also actively engaged in first and third party coverage and bad faith litigation.
Paula’s representative experience includes the following:
- Defense of and providing advice to educational institutions in a wide array of matters facing post-secondary institutions as well as K-12 schools such as employment matters, retaliation and discrimination and failure to accommodate brought both by employees and students, OCR investigations, student disciplinary actions, Title IX litigation, special education, faculty tenure issues, and personal injury actions including sports injury cases.
- Defense of a truck driver in an accident resulting in serious head trauma and orthopedic injuries to two young females. This case presented damages in excess of $7 Million and involved extensive accident reconstruction including speed, physical damage to the vehicles and mechanical analysis, as well as suspected drug use by the plaintiffs.
- Defense of a refinery following a chemical explosion brought by plaintiffs who were badly burned.
- Numerous product liability claims which required analysis and understanding of machinery with the assistance of experts in the fields of electrical and mechanical devices.
- Sports injury cases – Paula, herself an avid participant and spectator in different sporting events over the years, has represented owners of premises/athletic fields defending personal injury actions associated with different types of sports activities on theories such as negligent supervision, poor design of athletic fields, failure to warn, etc.
- Successfully defended at trial the manufacturer of kitchen appliances in a discrimination claim by an employee.
- Representation of an insurer in a business loss case due to a fire caused by a painting contractor. This case proceeded to trial where the fire cause and origin were the central focus of the liability phase. The loss of business income of a prominent sports agent, which included managing testimony of professional athletes, was the focus of the damages phase.
- Defense of an insurer in bad faith litigation arising from a business property loss of a furniture manufacturer where arson was suspected.
- Retention as coverage counsel to assist with losses involving: fire and flood losses to a multi-million dollar residences, large jewelry theft claim, an explosion at a power plant, and property damage due to soil subsidence.
- Defense of an insurer in bad faith litigation which also involved a successful counterclaim against insurance broker for professional negligence.
Areas of Practice
- McGeorge School of Law, J.D., 1983
- University of Southern California, B.A., 1980, Political Science & Speech Communication
- California State and United States District Courts
Professional Associations and Memberships (Past & Present)
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Los Angeles County Municipal Court, Judge Pro Tem, Arbitrator
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member, Amicus Curiae Briefs Committee
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, State Bar Convention , Delegate
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel
- Association for Transportation Law, Logistics & Policy
Speeches & Presentations
- Instructor in Torts and Insurance Coverage offered to insurance professionals
- Presentations to claims attorneys and handlers relating to Concussion Protocols to be employed by educational institutions
- Numerous presentations to insurance professionals relating to California Fair Claims Practices Act and nuances of California law relevant to the defense of personal injury and bad faith litigation
- Co-author and presenter of materials relating to First Party Property liability
Paula is and has been a member of the Board of Directors for two non-profit organizations, one involving assisting low-income youth who have the potential for leadership roles, the other aimed at offering coaching services to drug and alcohol addicts who cannot afford expensive residential treatment. Paula, the adopted mother of two children from foster care, is also active in programs aimed at improving the plight of children in the foster care system through partnering with various governmental agencies. She has been involved with volunteering for various organizations including Hope for Long Beach and Rebuilding Long Beach.